Pages

Sunday, February 3, 2013

Cilantro Turkey Burgers

Last summer I came across a cilantro ground chicken with avocado recipe and decided to try it at a cookout at my sister in law's house. I couldn't find ground chicken so I substituted turkey for chicken. Other than that change I followed the recipe to a T. The burgers were terrible...the recipe had way too much of each ingredient! Since no one ate their turkey burgers after a bite or two, it was a good thing that we had also cooked cheddar wursts for the kids or we would have went hungry. There was no way I was going to make these again. Wrong!

About a month later I looked at the recipe and thought maybe I can tweak the recipe. This time I used the ground chicken, changed the amounts of the ingredients,and minus the avocado. My husband fired up the grill as I was following the recipe (again!) and got to grilling. They were terrible again...ground chicken on the grill is not a good thing. The ground chicken burgers on the grill were dry and crumbly. They were so bad that we had to throw them out.

I was being stubborn about this recipe so I sent Andy to the grocery store to get ground turkey instead of ground chicken. When he got back from the store, told me "this is the last time you are trying to make these", I threw the turkey in a bowl, added the ingredients sans the avocado (hubby doesn't like avocado), and cooked them on top of the stove. After they were done cooking we put the turkey burgers on a whole wheat bun, added a little ranch dressing, and topped it with romaine lettuce. Oh My Goodness! The burgers came out so flavorful and juicy they melted in our mouths. Andy ate three of them in one sitting and I knew then that I had a hit on my hands!

Since my first horrible attempt at these burgers this recipe has become a favorite meal in our house.

I hope you enjoy my Cilantro Turkey Burger recipe! Have a Great Cookin' Day!

Cilantro Turkey Burger Recipe

Ingredients:
1.25 pounds of ground turkey
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro (I use Gourmet Garden organic cilantro paste and the measurements are the same as fresh chopped cilantro)
1/2 tablespoon low sodium soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon garlic (I use Gourmet Garden organic garlic paste, just easier to use)
1/2 teaspoon  ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Fresh lime juice (optional) (I forgot the limes)
Whole wheat buns
Romaine lettuce
Ranch dressing (optional)

Directions:
Gather ingredients needed to make Cilantro Turkey Burgers.

Don't forget any ingredients like I did.

Mix ingredients together.

Make patties. With the 1.25 pound package we make six, but that is a guide not a rule, we just like ours turkey burgers thicker.

Cook turkey patties on medium heat. Cook until turkey juice runs clear, about 10 minutes depending on your stove.


Top Cilantro Turkey Burger with romaine lettuce and ranch dressing. We usually serve with fresh (or frozen when we can't get veggies from our farmers market) vegetable mix of zucchini, yellow squash, green beans, red peppers, corn, and asparagus that we cook in olive oil and sprinkle with a steak seasoning or sea salt. Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment