Pages

Friday, February 22, 2013

Grilled Chicken Pesto Pizza

Okay, I'll admit it: I am not a pizza fan. I will eat it, but won't go out of my way for pizza. When I seen this recipe for a chicken pesto pizza in my new Italian cookbook I actually got excited about pizza for the first time in my life. Then I found a recipe for a homemade pesto sauce (see bottom of this page for credit and link) which looked promising. Andy wasn't too keen on me making this and wanted to go to Pizza Hut for a meat lover's, but I refused and told him I will make this pizza if he goes to the grocery store for the ingredients. Of course he went (twice because he doesn't know how to answer his phone or a text message). Ingredients in hand  I got to work making this pizza which turned out awesome! Enjoy the pizza and have a Great Cookin' Day!
 
Original recipe for Basil Pesto: (I adjusted recipe to make 1/4 cup of pesto which is enough for the pizza. You can make full recipe and freeze leftovers for another meal)
 
3 cups fresh basil leaves
2-3 cloves garlic (I cheated and used organic garlic paste)
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese (block and then grate)
Splash of fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. In a food processor or blender chop up the garlic (skip this step if you use garlic paste) until it is minced.
2. Add in the basil and cheese and start to blend. Slowly drizzle in the olive oil while the machine is running. Blend until smooth.
3. Squeeze in a little lemon juice and add salt and pepper to taste.
4. Taste the sauce and adjust to your taste.
5. Set aside 1/4 cup of pesto for pizza. Freeze leftover pesto for future meal.

Chicken Pesto Pizza:
1 tube thin crust pizza dough (I used Pillsbury brand)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound chicken breast, grilled (I used my Foreman grill) and cut into bite sized pieces
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced (more or less to taste)
1/4 cup pesto sauce (see recipe above)
2 large plum tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 cup shredded pizza cheese blend or mozzarella cheese

Directions:
1. Follow instructions on pizza dough for pre-heat instructions and pre-baking dough.
2. Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add grilled chicken, heat and stir for about 1-2 minutes. Add onion and pesto sauce; cook and stir about 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes. Then remove from heat. Let cool slightly.
3. Spread chicken mixture evenly over pizza dough to within 1 inch of edges. Sprinkle with cheese.
4. Cook 6-10 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Cut into squares.

Gather Ingredients. I pre-grilled chicken, chopped onions and diced tomatoes while chicken was grilling. I let chicken cool while I made pesto sauce. Pre-cook pizza dough according to directions.

Heat oil on medium heat. Place chicken in pan. Heat and stir for 1-2 minutes.

Add in onions and pesto sauce. Cook and stir for about 3 minutes.

Stir in diced tomatoes. Then remove from heat and let cool slightly.

Spread mixture over pre-cooked pizza dough. Cook for 6-10 minutes or until golden brown.

Cut into squares and enjoy!






Credit for Pesto Recipe goes to two peas and their pod Original recipe here.
Original Chicken Pesto pizza page 32 in Favorite Brand name Italian 3 Books in 1 cookbook.





No comments:

Post a Comment