Pages

Monday, February 11, 2013

Steak with Sweet Pepper Sauce

I came across this recipe in one of my many cook books* the other day and noticed that it is very similar to the Stouffer's Green Pepper Steak in the frozen food section. I'll admit that I have ate the frozen version, but after making this homemade version I never will again. This version is slightly different in that the sauce is not a "true tomato sauce" like the Stouffer's version, but I did not mind that as this recipe is very delicious.  There are several steps in this recipe, but it is not difficult to make. I hope you enjoy this recipe and have A Great Cookin' Day!

Ingredients:

2 medium green and/or red sweet peppers cut into thin strips
1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
2 gloves garlic, minced (I cheated and used organic garlic paste)
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 pound beef ribeye steak, cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick, or 1 pound beef tip sirloin steak, cut 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
Salt (I used Sea Salt)
Black pepper
1/2 cup beef broth
1 tablespoon snipped fresh oregano or basil or 1 teaspoon dried oregano or basil, crushed
1 cup chopped, seeded tomatoes (2 medium)
Hot cooked rice (optional) (I used minute rice)

Directions:
Gather Ingredients

Chop green peppers into thin strips. Chop onion. Mince 2 garlic cloves. *I cheated and used garlic paste.

In large skillet cook peppers, onion, and garlic in hot oil about 4 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Remove vegetables with slotted spoon.
Trim fat off steak. Cut steak into strips then bite size pieces.  Season meat with salt and pepper. 

Place meat in same skillet (add more oil if necessary). Cook over medium-high heat about 4 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Transfer the meat to a serving platter, reserve drippings in the the skillet. Keep steak warm. Also keep reserve drippings warm in skillet.

While meat is cooking snip fresh oregano and chop tomato.

For sauce add beef broth and oregano to reserved drippings. Bring to boil. Boil gently, uncovered over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes or until broth is reduced to 1/4 cup, scraping up crusty browned bits in pan.

Stir in the cooked vegetables and tomatoes. Heat through.


Spoon over steak and rice. Enjoy!


 
 

*Side note this Steak with Sweet Pepper Sauce recipe is from my Better Homes and Gardens Cook Book 12th Edition.

No comments:

Post a Comment